Do you hate what’s going on in Gaza right now as much as I do?
Let’s not compare.
Unless you’re there or you have relatives there—in which case, my heart goes out to to you. The main point is, I really hate the situation in Gaza. I hate the violence, I hate the terrorism, I hate the fact that it’s all being done on an international bill.
One thing, though, that you may not be familiar with is the cringing sense of fear that a Jew develops every time there’s another flareup of violence in the region and they just know they’re going to hear constant abuse being hurled at Israel and at Jews, and it’s going to get ugly. It’s par for the course.
Sure, you and I may say we hate what’s happening and not be anti-Semites, but that’s not what I’m talking about. I’m talking about the riots and protests in Antwerp and Paris calling for the Jews to be killed, or the one in Germany where people specifically said we should be “gassed.” The people who make constant comparisons between Israeli violence and Nazi genocide. I’m even talking about the guy at Dashcon who started chanting “DEATH TO ISRAEL!” at people in the ball pit for no apparent reason.
In my lifetime, I’ve watched as my usual liberal circles become more accepting of both casual and aggressive anti-Semitism. it only hurts the cause of a Palestinian state by alienating classical liberal allies—Jews like me.
I'll say this: if Captain Picard were around, all it would take is 40 minutes and a telepath to have free and independent Israeli and Palestinian states with good relations towards one another.
Except he wouldn’t because of the damn prime directive.
Wrong: he would take some solemn thought, talk with Ro Laren as she would have the most insight and then beam down alone to negotiate a peace.
Hahaha I can’t believe I’m actually nitpicking…
If Picard’s really smart (and he is) then he’d set a course for Bajor, maximum warp for the one person he really needs - Major Kira Nerys.
More Macklemore, less Robin Thicke.
And yet a huge percentage of Tumblr hates him. Not trying to be confrontational, but could someone please explain to me why this is?
Because he is a straight white guy and Tumblr isn’t always right.
Yup. A lot of people like to ignore all the good things he does simply because he is part of the privileged. Never mind that he flat out acknowledges this in Same Love. (“I may not be the same, but that’s not important.”)
BLESS YOUR SOULS.
BLESS YOUR FUCKING SOULS.
I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT STAND THAT FUCKING A LOT OF TUMBLR HATES MACKLEMORE.
BECAUSE HONESTLY, HE WAS EVERYTHING THEY WERE COMPLAINING WHITE PEOPLE AREN’T AND NOW THAT THEY GOT A FUCKING ROLEMODEL THEY SUDDENLY COMPLAIN?????? BECAUSE HE’S WHITE?????
Macklemore grew up privileged, yes, but he understands the inequality and the disturbing gap between rich and poor. He has a song called White Privilege:
"Hiphop started off in a block that I’ve never been to
To counter act a struggle that I’ve never even been through
If I think I understand just because I flow too
That means I’m not keeping it true, nope.”
"But as I’m blessed with the privilege, they’re still left with the scars"
AND HAVE YOU HEARD HIS SONG CLAIMING THE CITY???
"I grew up on Capitol Hill,
With two parents and two cars.
They had a beautiful marriage, we even had a swing set in our yard.
My mom didn’t have a job, because my dad made enough money that we could live comfortably and he could support us.
Now, he commute to Tacoma, so we knew we be good.
But then I realized everybody looked just like me in my neighborhood.
I go to school, which was diverse.
But indeed us, I got sandwiches and Capri Suns well my friends ate their free lunch.
It’s crazy trying to look back, cause when I was growing up
I didn’t understand the fact was there’s something called a social status.
And my black friends wanted my financial bracket.
And then my city’s divided,
From neighborhood to neighborhood
We’re polarized but we claim we’re progressive.
The police shoot in the hood but never once in my residence.
As a white person been shot at we’d stopped in a Lexus.
And to think that we have claimed that so much has changed”
OH GOODNESS ME, HE’S SUCH AN ASSHOLE. HE’S SO PRIVILEGED GOD.
HOW ABOUT A WAKE???
"Don’t wanna be that white dude, million man marchin’
Fighting for our freedom that my people stole
Don’t wanna make all my white fans uncomfortable
But you don’t even have a fuckin’ song for radio
Why you out here talkin race, tryin’ to save the fuckin’ globe
Don’t get involved with the causes in mind
White privilege, white guilt, at the same damn time
So we just party like it’s nineteen ninety nine
Celebrate the ignorance while these kids keep dying.”
Tumblr needs to hop down off it’s high fucking horse and instead of turning against a potential role model and ally to all that they’ve been fucking preaching about JUST BECAUSE HE’S PRIVILEGED AND WHITE, maybe make him an icon because he’s not rapping about disrespecting women. He’s making a small change. But because he grew up with a well structured family environment and he was able to afford everything he desired, he’s suddenly the enemy.
Macklemore hate is proof that Tumblr’s brand of militant social justice is just made up of a bunch of people with either a victimization fetish and/or a hateful, angry heart seeking acceptable targets, and they then proceed to poison the people that really just want to do good, ultimately mangling a good cause beyond recognition.
And 99% of people who complain about the first lyric of “Same Love” have never actually listened beyond that. Somebody tells them “The song starts with ‘when i was in the third grade i thought that i was gay’” and they start clutching their pearls because surely the whole song is just some straight dude making lgbtqa rights all about him and how he thinks because he thought he was gay when he was eight he knows all about it. And maybe it’s not the best way to word the beginning of the song, BUT IF YOU ACTUALLY LISTEN OR READ BEYOND THAT it turns out it’s a segue into talking about ridiculous stereotypes and preconceived ideas about sexuality and questioning why someone would think it was a bad idea to be gay in the first place. And then it goes on to discuss the homophobia inherent in the music genre he’s a part of and calling his peers out on slurs and derogatory language and hypocrisy in religion, and it beautifully features Mary fucking Lambert, and goddammit I had trouble driving home when I first heard it in the car because I was fucking crying.
Macklemore is a privileged individual who consistently and vocally acknowledges his privileges and strives to use it to do legitimate good, which is everything Tumblr claims it wants, but as soon as he starts, they scream for him to shut up. Because their need to rage and scream and hate and wallow in willful ignorance is more important to them than seeing actual change take place anywhere in the world.
so glad i came across this post. you have to remember that tumblr :so called “activists” like to comment on anything that seems potentially bad, even if that means over-shadowing great points and progress that a lot of people, both gay and straight have wished for.
Oh, no. Tumblr hasn’t reached a consensus you are 100% satisfied with regarding this one dude! Welp, better pack it all in. Tumblr is over now. Farewell forever.
I mean come on now. if you want to be mad that people tend to exist in small echo chambers where they only have to listen to people with the same opinion they have, then good luck. You are going to hate everyone pretty much all the time including yourself, because that’s what HUMANS DO. This phenomenon started with cave drawings. Tumblr is not new.
Also, yeah. Jew-face. He did it. I feel pretty alright not loving him absolutely. But SJW’s, amirite?
So we all know the people who held the purse strings for Dashcon fucked up, right?
Cool! So maybe let’s stick to criticisms of their poor decision making intermixed with ball pit shots instead of:
1. Turning this into a fucking misogyny-fest. Yes, there were a lot of women at this con. Yes, many of them were young. Yup, this a first con for many of them. YOU DO NOT GET TO SAY THAT ALL GIRLS OR EVEN THESE GIRLS ARE STUPID BECAUSE THEY WENT TO A POORLY RUN CON. Are they mind readers? No. Stop it.
2. Arbitrarily yell “Death to Israel" and other hateful shit because you’re an anti-semitic tool. That has nothing to do with Dashcon. Nobody cares if you’re just trolling. You don’t get to act like exterminating an entire race is a joke because Dashcon. Fuck you.
3. Deciding certain fandoms are all bad. A few bad eggs don’t ruin the bunch, idiot. Who gives a fuck that the con runners are into SuperWholock? What the fuck does that have to do with them lying about why they really needed $17,000? Nothing. Just stop.
4. Saying you heard a panel was anti-gay and then acting like it definitely was. Were you there? No? Then shut the fuck up about things you don’t actually know about.
5. Saying only white people were there when multiple sources confirmed the event was actually pretty fucking diverse? What are you thinking with this? Are you just making things up for fun now? Or does a few people being money stupid mean we can call everyone racists forever? No. Don’t answer. I don’t care.
5. Blaming the people who left. Are you shitting me? Guests of the con were told their rooms were covered and then they weren’t. Of fucking course some of them left. Do you realise how much money those rooms cost? A lot. If you ever had to pay a bill in your life you would understand. Ever pay your own bills? Yes? Then you know better. Stop it. No? Then stop talking forever, please and thank you.
6. Blaming the people who DIDN’T leave. What? People wanted a con, they came to a con, and some of them made the best of it. That is not a crime, you shitheel. Take a look at the photographic evidence — there were people there who had *gasp* fun. They are not fools for having fun. There was nothing foolhardy about making the best out of this bad situation.
7. Attributing the mishandling of the con to “autism”. What? No. Just no. People can be entitled, clueless, and irresponsible without being on the fucking spectrum, for fuck’s sake.
8. Acting like 4chan somehow magically used their trolling powers to bring Dashcon to ruination, like anyone who uses that site has the time, desire, or brainpower to make that shit happen.
9. Pretending like Dashcon is your proof that all of tumblr is nothing but SJW idiots who fail at everything because they’re always offended and are furries who watch too much Teen Wolf or whatever the fuck moron shit pukes out of your brain when you open you slack-jawed mouth. Shut up, 4chan. Just because you aren’t to blame for the con’s problems, doesn’t mean you aren’t still complete assholes.
10. Suggesting that all cons now have a ball pit. I know you’re joking but that is a terrible, terrible plan. Seriously, ball pits are the place where all the kid urine in the world lives. You’re going to come out with a rash and smelling of wee. And then you’re going to touch me and it’s going to be terrible. Hilarious ball pit photo manips? Yes. Actual ball pits at cons? Urine sane.
Thank you for your attention in this matter. I now return you to Dashcon 2015, which is already being planned.
1. someone disagreeing with you in a respectful fashion
2. someone helping you, if not monetarily, then through deeds and goods
3. someone saying that your behavior is problematic or hurtful
4. someone refusing to validate your opinion, when said opinion is not only not based in fact, but…
SOUNDS LIKE A PRETTY ORTHODOX QUESTION TO ME
Him: so u identify as male now???
Me: haha yep…well i have for a while now but im just starting to be open about it.
Him: and ur gay right?
Him: well i might be too so if u ever want me to fuck your pussy i totally can ;) just as friends lol
Hey, you see this? The opposite of this. Be it and we are cool.